Employment Support Allowance

Funded by:

Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit you can claim if you are unable to work because of a health condition or disability.   

There are different types of ESA

If you have been working within the last 2-3 years you may have paid enough National Insurance Contributions to claim New Style ESA. New Style ESA does not take into account your household income or savings. 

If you have not paid enough National Insurance Contributions you can claim ESA as part of Universal Credit. Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit which means it will take into account your household income and savings. 

If you are eligible to claim New Style ESA, but your household income is low, you can claim Universal Credit as well as New Style ESA to top up your income. 

How ESA is assessed

How to make a claim for ESA

How to challenge an ESA decision 

For more information, or for help claiming benefits, please get in touch with our benefits team. We provide initial information and advice to everyone. We provide members of the Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group with more detailed advice, casework and representation. 

Email: benefits@sheffieldmegroup.co.uk

Tel: +44 114 253 6700

Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group.


The Circle

33 Rockingham Lane


S1 4FW

Email: info@sheffieldmegroup.co.uk

Phone: 0114 2536700

Registered Charity: 1095416

Quick Links


Get involved




© 2020 Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group  Registered Charity Number 1095416 |  Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy

The inclusion of information of any kind on this website does not imply a recommendation or guarantee of accuracy. Nor are any views or comments necessarily those of the Group. Before embarking on anything different or new, you are advised to discuss this with your doctor.