Myalgic Encephalomyelitis


Myalgic encephalomyelitis is a chronic debilitating disease affecting the nervous system, immune system, endocrine system and metabolism.

ME affects approximately 250,000 people in the UK, and between 17-30 million worldwide.

The hallmark feature of ME is post exertional malaise, an exacerbation of all symptoms after trivial exertion that can last for days, months or years.

No two people with ME will experience exactly the same symptoms, but commonly these will include severe, debilitating exhaustion, cognitive dysfunction, sleep disturbances, flu-like symptoms or susceptibility to virus', gastro-intestinal symptoms such as nausea or abdominal pain, sensitivity to light and sound, orthostatic intolerance (inability to stay upright), and intolerance of temperature changes. However this list is by no means exhaustive.

There are over 14 different diagnostic criteria for ME. In the UK, ME can be diagnosed by a GP or consultant. They use the guidelines laid out by NICE in 2007, however these are currently being updated as they were deemed inadequate. The new guidance is due to be published in October 2020.

ME can affect people of any age, gender or ethnicity. About 75% of people with ME are women. 25% of people with ME are housebound or bedbound.

Research suggests just 5% of people with ME fully recover, however more make some improvement over time.

We Need Your Support Today!

Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group.


The Circle

33 Rockingham Lane


S1 4FW

During lockdown, please address all post to:

Carolyn Leary

Flat 3
6, Shirle Hill
Sheffield S11 9DY


Phone: 0114 2536700 / 07753948186

Registered Charity: 1095416

Many thanks to our funders...

© 2020 Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group  Registered Charity Number 1095416 |  Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy

The inclusion of information of any kind on this website does not imply a recommendation or guarantee of accuracy. Nor are any views or comments necessarily those of the Group. Before embarking on anything different or new, you are advised to discuss this with your doctor.