Support for carers

Carer's Allowance

You can claim Carer's Allowance if you care for someone 35 hours per week or more. The person you're caring for must receive one of the following benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with the daily living component

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with the middle or high care rate

  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment 

To be eligible for Carer's Allowance you can't be studying more than 21 hours per week, or earning more than £128 per week through work after tax.

The current rate for Carer's Allowance is £67.25 per week.

Click here to make a claim for Carer's Allowance.

Universal Credit Carer Element

You can claim the Carer Element of Universal Credit if you care for someone 35 hours per week or more. Like Carer's Allowance, the person you care for must be claiming one of the benefits listed above.


Unlike Carer's Allowance, there is no limit on what you can earn while claiming the Carer Element. However, as Universal Credit is means tested, the higher your earnings the less you will receive through Universal Credit. You don't need to be claiming Carer's Allowance to get the Carer Element of Universal Credit.

To get the Universal Credit Carer Element you just need to report your caring commitment to the DWP by calling 0800 328 9344.

Carer's Credit

If you care for someone 20 hours per week or more, who claims one of the benefits listed above, you can get Carer's Credit which helps with gaps in your National Insurance record.

If you get Carer's Allowance you will automatically get Carer's Credit. Click here for information about how to apply for Carer Credits.

Child Disability Living Allowance

If you look after a child (under 16) who has an health condition or disability which means they need more support day-to-day than children their age without a health condition or disability, you might be able to claim Child Disability Living Allowance.  

For more information, or for help claiming benefits, please get in touch with our benefits team. We provide initial information and advice to everyone. We provide members of the Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group with more detailed advice, casework and representation. 


Tel: +44 114 253 6700

We Need Your Support Today!

Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group.


The Circle

33 Rockingham Lane


S1 4FW

During lockdown, please address all post to:

Carolyn Leary

Flat 3
6, Shirle Hill
Sheffield S11 9DY


Phone: 0114 2536700 / 07753948186

Registered Charity: 1095416

Many thanks to our funders...

© 2020 Sheffield ME and Fibromyalgia Group  Registered Charity Number 1095416 |  Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy

The inclusion of information of any kind on this website does not imply a recommendation or guarantee of accuracy. Nor are any views or comments necessarily those of the Group. Before embarking on anything different or new, you are advised to discuss this with your doctor.